Wednesday 29 October 2008

Stuff


Whilst walking around Leicester Square last night, watching the crowds doing their thing at the James Bond Premiere, a thought struck me.



Why?

Why the hell would fully grown men and women queue up for literally hours and hours for the chance to see a glimpse of the back of a minor Royal or an actor from a film?

I mean, it's not even as though they get to see the bloody film.

All they get to see is a group of yellow clad PCs getting progressively more bored, cold and grumpy, stood on a fixed point in hi-viz hell waiting for a question that doesn't start "Can you tell me where I can find..."

There has to be a sane reason why so many people do it, please can someone tell me it?



By the way, I have been trawling the blogosphere, and have discovered (or re-discovered) Police and Law Enforcement blogs in abundance. I am slowly updating my linky sidebar. Any that you know of, please let me know.
I have also noticed that although I have found many for the UK, US and Canada, I've found none for either Australia or for the Guards in Eire. Does anyone know of any?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same about people who pay money to go and watch football/rugby or anything like that in a cold stadium on a weekend. I really do wonder why they do it.

Max said...

Ah the good old fixed point "SFQ's" or "stupid F*****G questions."

I was on a road closure the other month during quite a big job, with bollards and railings and me grimacing in the pre dawn hours really miserable, when some joey in a merc pulls up and asks;

"can I go down that way officer?"

Anonymous said...

max:
"is the road closed officer?
oh i'm sure you could let me through officer, i have to visit my sick granny in the woods.
you can't, well F%ck you! please tell me the diversion"
why cant they just follow the signs and let me sulk while the rain drips down my neck.

anyway i know its not police but some stuff on 'the big white taxi service' website is quite funny.

Anonymous said...

What used to ?tickle me was when people would come up to you when on duty at a big Premiere, and ask whether they could get a ticket! Yea, very bloody likely now, ain't it?

Anonymous said...

Never understood the celebrity thing.

Not saying me and Ms Beckinsdale wouldn't have a weekend that even the Sun couldn't print the details of should we find ourselves in the same bed, but never understood the whole clamouring for a celebrity lark.

I suspect it has to do with the sheer banality of most peoples modern lives though!

Old BE said...

Which one of this gangly lot are you?

My money's on the hard man top left.

Metcountymounty said...

bloody hell mate, we were on the same job

Chris said...

Area,

Didn't think any of your more recent posts were an appropriate place for this, but if you're interested, I'm passing on a blog award that has somehow passed on into my possession

http://rantingyorkshireman.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-first-blog-award.html

Keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

Not saying everyoneDiablo 3 Gold in addition to Ms Beckinsdale would not use a weekend break that will even Solar could not produce information of should we come across ourselves in the identical mattress, but certainly not realized theGW2 Gold kaufen entire clamouring for the celebrity lark.